Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Shopping For The Right Ingredients

 
So after I bought my Nutribullet, I could not wait to get to the grocery store, but what to buy is the question. So first I learned a great simple technique to follow for making smoothies: 1/2 leafy green, the other 1/2 fruits and veggies, and then a little bit of nuts or seeds on top! Also, I would personally buy as much organic as you can. So first off, you should always have a leafy green. Either spinach, kale, spring mix, collard greens, etc.. Then you need some fruit, I personally love bananas for my smoothies to make them nice and creamy and they are great to freeze. Fruit that you can freeze are good because you can buy a lot of it and you wont have to worry about it going bad. Also, using frozen fruit in your smoothies make them even better and you wont have to add ice! Also, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries are my favorite and great for freezing. You can also freeze grapes. I personally do not like buying frozen bags of fruit because I do not like the taste of them. If you do, by all means go ahead and buy them, that would be the easiest to do. Pears and apples are great for making your smoothies sweet! Some other personal favorite fruits of mine to use are avocado, oranges, grapefruit, pineapple and mangos. Next, of course you need your veggies! Cucumbers, lemons, limes, celery, and carrots. The lemons and limes are great for just squeezing into your smoothie, so you could just buy lemon and lime juice. Also, just a reminder when making a smoothie with fruits and vegetables, the fruit really over powers the taste of it, so most of the veggies you can hardly even taste! That's why these smoothies are great for people who have a hard time eating vegetables, it makes it so easy! You also should buy some nuts and seeds! Almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, pistachios, and flax seed are some great ones. Lastly, you cant make a smoothie without some liquid! You can always just use filtered water, but some great alternatives are coconut water, coconut milk, cows milk, orange juice or apple juice! So once you buy all your ingredients, your good to go! Drinking one of these smoothies, once a day say in the morning is such an easy fun way to start eating healthy and changing your lifestyle for the better. For me, once I started drinking these every morning, my eating habits for the rest of the day slowly started getting better too. 
Start Blending!